The South East Asia Community Observatory (SEACO) is a Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) operated by Monash University Malaysia and is located in the District of Segamat in Johor, Malaysia. We pride ourselves on being the only HDSS in Malaysia, and the only one in the world with an ISO9001 certification for the quality of our processes. Established to support research questions related to health and well-being, SEACO is a Monash University Research Technology Platform that works closely with the Malaysian Ministry of Health, the District Office and the communities in Segamat.
Since our work primarily focuses on the factors affecting community health and well-being based on data and bio-samples collected from the community in Segamat, we need to effectively collect, curate and communicate the data. For this purpose, we have 45 staff, both in Segamat and Sunway, who make up our field team, administration and finance team, computing and data team, and our small management team.
The SEACO Internship Program offers a wide range of opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students. Being part of the program allows them to gain insight into our technical, administrative and research programs, expanding their knowledge and gaining experience as they further their education to build their careers.
Objectives the SEACO Internship Program:
- To provide a suitable framework to assign undergraduate and postgraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds to the numerous projects at SEACO.
- To provide vast exposure to students through our diverse working environment to enhance their educational and post-educational experience.
- To optimise individual student’s specialisation in the fields of administration, finance, information technology, geographic information systems, data analysis, data management and media to obtain input.
- Intake options may vary according to when an opportunity arises at a relevant unit or in a project. Interns may be appointed on an ad-hoc basis depending on specific requirements.
- Applicants must be at least 20 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a course of study at a university or institution leading to a formal Bachelors Degree, Master’s Degree, or Ph.D. qualification. This program is also open to applicants who have recently graduated – within six months of completion.
- Applicants must have completed at least two years of full-time studies at a university or institution prior to commencing this internship program.
- Applicants must be fluent in either English or Bahasa Melayu.
- If the applicant is not a Malaysian citizen or a permanent resident in Malaysia, the visa, as well as the health and travel insurance must be arranged and obtained by the applicant at their own expense.
Internship Functional Portfolios:
Candidates may apply for an internship opportunity in one of the following functional portfolios within SEACO:
- Internship (Office Administration) – Bachelor (REF:2019/01)
- Opportunity to experience a range of administrative functions across various departments at SEACO, including Human Resources, Finance and general office support. The intern will rotate across the administrative areas and experience independently taking on substantial tasks.
- Location: Segamat, Johor
- Qualification requirement: Has completed at least two years full-time study of Bachelor’s Degree course – Business Administration, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources – or the equivalent.
- Internship (Administration) – Master (REF:2019/02)
- Opportunity to gain experience in Strategic Organisational Administration across the administrative areas at SEACO. The intern will experience a range of administrative functions during rotation at various departments including Human Resources, Finance, as well as general operations.
- Collaborate with a supervisor and mentor to develop an appropriately scaled project that will contribute to the strategic operations of SEACO.
- Location: Segamat, Johor
- Qualification requirement: Has completed at least six months full-time Master’s Degree in Business Administration course or the equivalent.
- Internship (Data Management / Statistics) – Bachelor (REF:2019/03)
- Opportunity to gain experience in the usage of data for operational needs and see the process of collection and management of data across SEACO’s operations. The intern will be involved with each aspect of the process to understand the collection, curation and communication of data.
- Location: Segamat, Johor
- Qualification requirement: Has completed at least two years full-time study of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics or the equivalent.
- Internship (Epidemiology / Biostatistics) – Master (REF:2019/04)
- Opportunity to utilise epidemiological/biostatistical skills in the analysis and documentation of a research project. The intern will collaborate with a supervisor to work on the analysis and documentation of a piece of research using SEACO’s data. The aim is to write a publishable piece for an international and peer-reviewed journal.
- Location: Monash University Malaysia, Sunway
- Qualification requirement: Has completed at least the core epidemiology and biostatistics units of a Master’s of Public Health course (or the equivalent) and is comfortable using R or SPSS for data analysis.
Terms of Internship:
- The duration of SEACO’s internships is between four (4) to twenty-four (24) weeks, depending on the needs of SEACO and the intern’s availability.
- Local candidates are entitled to an allowance, but other costs such as travel and accommodation during internship period are to be borne by the intern.
- International internship candidates are not entitled to an allowance, however all costs of travel and accommodation (during internship period) will be financed by SEACO.
- Leave of absence is managed at the supervisor’s discretion.
- Successful applicants are expected to arrange for all necessary insurances (e.g. accident/liability, car, health/life, etc).
- Local and international applicants are invited to apply to specific work areas of interest listed on the SEACO website. Applications should be made using the Google Form to identify the work and the specific internship program.
- Applicants will be contacted once there is an available internship vacancy.
- The period of review for applications is three months. In the case that applicants do not hear from us within six months of applying, the application should be considered unsuccessful.
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified via email and, if required, will be interviewed by a selection panel.
- Qualified applicants are required to submit an official application via the form provided, and relevant documents (i.e. resume/CV, NRIC or passport, academic transcripts, certificates, endorsement letter and assessment requirements from the university) at the time of interview.